Stop Saying Can't is a Four Letter Word

I don't think we understand the depth of the Atonement.

There's a reason why we repeat that it is infinite.

"It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

I think we misunderstand what, "can" means in this context.


I used to think that if I could quit thinking negative thoughts about people, quit saying snappish things, never eat sugar, sleep eight hours every night and give a Book of Mormon to every person I met, then I would be doing "all [I] can do" and then I would be saved.
The problem was, there was always more I could do.

That can't be what that verse means.

I think that I think I can do more than I actually can.

There are some things I can't do.
I can't change my fallenness. I can't bring what's dead to life.

I can stop saying anything mean ever but I'll only reach a fake, constructed holiness. I won't be one step closer to the presence of God.


Comments

Popular Posts